- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Nonfat Pavel’s Yogurt (liquid strained)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup bakers sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup skim milk, divided
Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl on high with an electric mixer until smooth. Add strained yogurt and vanilla; beat until well combined. Coat 3 baking sheets with cooking spray. Heat oven to 400º.
In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Beat sugar and butter with an electric mixer on high in a third bowl until combined; add egg white and beat until mixture is thick and pale yellow. Add half the flour mixture to sugar and butter mixture; beat until just combined. Add 1/4 cup milk; beat on low speed until combined. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and remaining 1/4 cup milk.
Spoon batter into a large resealable bag; squeeze batter into a corner of the bag and clip 1/4 inch off corner to make a piping bag. Squeeze 16 1 1/2 inch circles of batter about 1 inch apart, onto each baking sheet. Bake until centers spring back to the touch, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Spread 24 of the cakes with cream cheese filling; top with a second cake to make sandwiches and dust with cocoa powder or powdered sugar, if desired. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days